Thursday, December 11, 2014

Make Today Count

One thing that I have really been working on while at Link Year is managing my time and getting the most out of every day. I’m so tired of letting day after day go by without any growth because I waste my time on things that have no value. After talking through this with my mentor, he gave me a book to read that completely changed how I view each day. The book is called Make Today Count by John C. Maxwell. If you struggle at all with managing your days and getting the most out of them I highly suggest reading it. In it he goes through what he calls his daily dozen. They are the 12 things that he makes sure he focuses on every day. They are:

Attitude
Priorities
Health
Family
Thinking
Commitment
Finances
Faith
Relationships
Generosity
Values
Growth

For each one of those he goes through a few points on how to make the decision to improve in all those areas daily. However, he doesn’t stop there, because he knows that making the decision to improve is only a small part. He also goes into how to manage the discipline of improving. I love how he focuses on that because I’m so bad at managing the disciplines necessary to improve. One of my favorite things that he said in his book was, “Neglect enough todays and you will experience the “someday” you’ve wanted to avoid.” That is so true and it is why I really want to take advantage of every day. If I continue to go through my days without a purpose, then before I know it my life will be wasted and I will have hardly accomplished anything. My goal by the end of Link year is to incorporate these twelve things into my daily routine. I obviously won’t have them mastered by then, but my hope is that I will at least have a good start.

Another cool thing about this week is that we did something called Link Year Gives Back. Throughout the week we served at different places around Branson. One of the places that I went was the local food pantry. It was neat because we were able to help them out a lot and accomplish tasks that they simply didn’t have time to do. I loved seeing how grateful they were for the few hours of work we put in. While serving there, one thing that I realized was it doesn’t take much to have a big impact on those around me. All it took was sacrificing a few hours out of my week. I hope to go back in the weeks to come and continue having an impact on that organization.

That is all I have for this week! 

Thanks for reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment