Thursday, March 19, 2015

David Marvin

In my blog last week I talked a lot about my month long mission trip to the Bahamas. For this post I will talk a little about both this week and last week. Last week we had the opportunity to hear David Marvin come talk to us about apologetics. David leads the college ministry for Watermark Church in Dallas, Texas. Something that really stood out to me while he was talking had to do with Christianity being the only true religion and how we can know that. His main premise was that those who say all religions are ultimately the same, are in fact saying that they don't know anything about any religion, because all religions contradict each other. There is either one that is true, or they are all false. They cannot all be true. After making that point, he began to explain what makes Christianity different than all other religions, and it may have been how he said it, but that is what really hit me. He said in all other religions, good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. However, in Christianity, forgiven people go to heaven and those who are not forgiven go to hell. In other words, whether or not we go to heaven has nothing to do with how good we seem to be. So many religions teach that if your good outweighs the bad, you get to go to heaven. But, as David, explained, no amount of good can remove the bad. The only thing that can remove the bad we all have done it forgiveness.  The takeaway from that is so encouraging. It completely takes the pressure off our performance.

This week has also been really neat. We took a test to determine what majors we would be good at based on personality and high school classes. We also spent today talking about spiritual gifts. It has been really encouraging to see how the majors the test said I would be good at (Entrepreneurship) are coherent with my top five strengths (Belief, Competition, Deliberative, Responsibility, Achiever) which are coherent with what I am gifted with spiritually. All that information is really helpful while trying to figure out what to do with my future and I am glad Link Year walked us through it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment