Thursday, April 23, 2015

The End

It feels crazy to be saying this, but today I am writing my last blog post while at Link Year. What a journey the last year has been! It’s hard to put into words all that I have learned and in all the areas I have grown. All that I know is that I am not the same person I was 9 months ago when I started the program. Looking back, I was so selfish and focused on myself. I thought I had my life pretty much all together. I was only coming to Link Year because I didn’t know what I wanted to major in at college, or that is what I kept telling myself. This attitude made me come in very prideful because I didn’t really think I needed Link Year. I was just here because I wasn’t sure what else to do. Because of this attitude, I was pretty miserable for the first part of my time here because it was not really what I was expecting it to be like and I had left such good friends back in Omaha where I went to college last year. I began questioning if it was even the right decision for me to come. It was not until God revealed how focused I was on myself that I finally began to enjoy Link Year. My thinking shifted from “how can I make Link Year better for me” to “how can I glorify God while at Link Year” that I actually started to enjoy it. That is why the verse that really sums up my biggest lesson learned while here is John 3:30, which states, “He must increase, but I must decrease.” When I started to do this – to make God huge and myself tiny – my whole perspective changed. I realized that I didn’t have everything together. I realized how broken and need of God I was. Now I am 100% sure that this is where I was supposed to be this last year and it is crazy to think it is already over. I’m sad to leave. I’m sad not to have Brian, my mentor, near by. I’m sad to leave the friendships that I have made. I’m sad not to have speakers from around the country come and share wisdom with me each week. However, I am beyond excited to see what God has in store for my future. I’m excited to start applying what I have spent the last year learning. I’m excited to go be a light wherever I am.

The last year has been quite a journey, but a journey well worth taking.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment