Thursday, January 15, 2015

Business and Ministry

Today could easily go down as one of the most impactful days for me here at link year. I was challenged and encouraged in so many ways. We had the opportunity to hear Mark Harris (the father to Marcus Harris, who is in charge of the media for Link Year) speak to us about Biblical manhood. One of the reasons that Mark stood out from other speakers is how he ran a business that was not associated with ministry, but he was still able to incorporated ministry into it and reach/disciple those he worked with. Most of the speakers we have come are employed in fulltime ministry so it was in some ways hard for them to show what it would look like glorify Christ in their job because that is what their job requires of them. However, Mark is a very successful business man so it was interesting to hear how he was able to minister to others through his platform at work. It is so incredible because he not only does a great job being a father, husband, and employer; he is also currently discipling 38 guys weekly. And his passion for Christ and for the men in this country is so evident. If I end up working in a career field that is not directly related to ministry, I want to be as effective at reaching people through my job as Mark is.
            Mark’s main point was that Biblical manhood means understanding that the great commission is our first priority. Here is a question that Mark asked that will stay with me for the rest of my life. The set-up scene to the question is us in heaven when we die. When we get there, we go before God and He says, “After you became a Christian you still failed over and over again. You still gave into your flesh and sinned.” That is when Jesus steps in and says, “I covered all that when I went to the cross. It’s all on me.” Then God says, “How many people are here in heaven now or will be in heaven because of your life?” This time Jesus looks at us and says, “This one is on you.” That is the question Mark challenged us with. Who is going to heaven because of our lives? Because in the end, that is all that really matters. Once we become Christians, Satan knows he can’t keep us out of heaven, so his goal is to make us the most ineffective Christians possible and let us just wallow in our own sin. He does not want us to win others to heaven.
            After hearing Mark talk, I have a much greater understanding of what it looks like to passionately follow Jesus no matter what kind of career I have. I also have a better understanding of Biblical manhood and what it really looks like. I honestly believe that I will look back on this day years from now as a defining day in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment